Little Birds & LA Skateboard Culture


I was invited by the rad girls at WHO WHAT WEAR (thanks Katherine, Hillary & Jessica!) to see an advanced screening of the film LITTLE BIRDS last night at the Soho House here in West Hollywood (which is pretty damn amazing!). I’ve heard buzz about this film & the director Elgin James, so I was stoked to get to see it. It totally did not disappoint. The whole movie was beautifully filmed, & a lot of it was shot at one of my favorite gritty/amazing locations, the Salton Sea, as well as in/around LA. Since this movie also involves LA skateboard culture and the kids in it, that was an added bonus for me.

After the film some of the the stars of the movie did a short Q&A panel for us. An you know me, I had some questions about the location, and of course skateboarding (pro skaters Rune Gilfberg, Geoff Rowley, David Gonzales & Arto Saari skated the abandoned backyard pools in the film and it turns out a friend of mine, Matt Meyerson was the skateboarder coordinator – small world!). Interesting to hear from actress, Juno Temple that the movie was filmed in just 17 days.  That to me is simply amazing. I am still replaying scenes from it over & over in my mind – it’s that hauntingly beautiful.

I was also really into the authenticity of the wardrobe for all the characters (being a stylist & a skater I think I zone in on that when watching films in general and especially those involving skateboard culture) and I loved how “right” they got it all the way through. Check out the shots above and you will see what I mean.  And this part was WAY cool!!  So I’m watching the credits roll after the movie and I see that Analucia McGorty, who is one of my old styling assistants was the set costumer on the film! Yeah Analucia!!

After the film & the Q&A, my friend Stacey and I went upstairs to the Soho House lounge, sat out on the deck overlooking LA while enjoying the warm summer night, and spent over an hour sipping lemon drops and discussing the film – when a film makes you stop, think, discuss – it’s that good. I hope you guys all get a chance to see it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agenda 2014

Agenda

Wish You Were Here...